Tuesday, April 20, 2010

My holiday: Alex Watson, 7, visits the Maldives

Alex gets a little closer to the wildlife in the Maldives
Alex gets a little closer to the wildlife in the Maldives

WHERE I WENT

I went to the Maldives, to an island called Meeru, which is short for Meerufenfushi. It means "sweet water island" in the local language.

WHAT I LIKED

I liked how it was nice and hot there and when it was cooler in the evenings I liked going in to the sea – it was warm and like stepping into a Jacuzzi.

It is very dry in the Maldives most of the time but there is a rainy season called the monsoon, which was just starting when we were there. We took a sailing boat that you could fold and I liked sailing around in that. We also did a lot of snorkelling. Tourists go to the Maldives because it is one of the best snorkelling and diving sites in the world. I thought it was a great holiday.

WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE

The fact we could only stay for two weeks.

WHAT I BOUGHT

A small dolphin that, when put in the water, expanded to about 10 times as big. Also a waterproof card with pictures of fish that I could take snorkelling to help recognise the fish I saw (pictured); and a book about all the fish.
Read more

No comments: